The Children are Leaving is an equally surreal & sincere whirlwind exploring the desire and tensions of wanting to have a family on a dying planet. Through clown and puppetry, Jack Boal and Robyn Olivia present a raucous variety of scenes through humour and a sprinkle of puppets thrown in for good measure.
From personal testimonials to a reimagining of the Teletubbies, this contemporary performance cabaret tackles the tensions of ensuring all kinds of families can flourish on planet Earth.
What will you experience?
This show is a collection of scenes exploring family making and the climate crisis. The show will move between on stage performers as well as puppets that will be operated by the performers. At times there will be more puppets on stage than human performers.
There are two recurring characters who will welcome and navigate the audience through the show.
In-between the scenes, are the prime opportunities to leave the space, make noise and move about.
Sources of audio description, who is speaking and where the audio description is coming from, will change in each scene.
For this event, the following access provision will be available:
- Performance BSL Interpreter
- Front of House BSL Communication Support
- Integrated audio description
- Touch tour by the artists
- Step-free access throughout the venue
- Accessible toilet within the venue
- This is a relaxed performance, meaning audience members can come and go and make noise as needed.
Content warnings and age guidance
Age guidance: This performance is for over 18s only
- Themes and images in reference to death
- Drugs and alcohol
- Environmental changes such as sudden loud noises can be found in the visual story document.
About the artist
Jack is a working-class performer and theatre maker from North London. He makes work that is inherently political and entertaining, engaging audiences to create dialogue on the present and future through drag, clowning and interactive performance.
- Jack Boal – Lead Artist and Performer
- Robyn Olivia – Co Creator, Puppeteer and Access Consultant
The Children are Leaving has been co-commissioned by Drunken Chorus for A Bit Of A Do 2023